Thursday, May 5, 2016

Collective Truth

  So this quarter I'm taking a class on teaching college history. I have taught, but it is a required course...and let's be real, I'm a pedagogy nerd and I'd take it anyway. Today we started with the Colbert Report on Wikiality. Which was just as pointed as all the articles we read, but far more entertaining.

  To be fair, Wikipedia has improved since 2006. It is a useful tool, and I think it is important to teach students how to use it correctly rather than institute a blanket ban.

  Also to be fair, the issue of collective truth in writing is not a new thing. I am currently researching Hanoverian Cream and White horses, and am running into the same problem. Not just in the (very sparse) modern mentions of them, but also in sources that are three centuries old.

   Nihil sub sole novum.

No comments:

Post a Comment